Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Writers Block

I like to consider myself to be a writer. I have not had international praise for my writing, but my mother likes it and I enjoy writing. I have a very active imagination. I rarely am at a loss for things to write about or imagine. Since I claim to be a writer-an artist, this is a good thing.

Now my son Ben wants to write as well. Believe me, he has an imagination. He is very creative, (I would like to take credit for that, but his imagination is different than mine.) Now, as I listen to his thoughts and stories, I have become a critic. I am not harsh (usually) in my criticism. I try to steer him in the right directions and keep him on track.

Here is the problem. Am I the one off track? By trying to focus Ben on things I think are important or entertaining, am I giving him wrong directions. As I stated earlier, the world has not exactly rallied behind my style and proclaimed me the new great American writer.

Am I blocking my child from greatness?

No comments: