Saturday, March 18, 2006

Peace and Quite

It’s nice to get away, but there is truly no place like home. The Fam and I had a great time at Galveston, the weather cooperated, and the twins played in the surf all day Thursday. We visited with J’s sister while we were there and generally took over. That’s what happens when we take our show on the road.
We came back home by way of the Bolivar Ferry, and that was taxing. We waited in line for two hours to board the boat. I don’t wait well to begin with, and I had a dinner engagement at Outback back in Lufkin. The longer I waited, the tenser I became. By the time we hit the return road, I had to call and move supper back an hour.
We were eating with my parents and oldest brother and wife. The older Dad gets, the earlier he likes to eat. If this goes on much longer he will be eating supper at 3:00 PM. So, moving the time back was really a way to help him delay his supper habit. I only did it to help, that’s just the kind of guy I am.
After we got to the house, I unloaded Spike and the rest of the car. After supper I was dead tired. I tried to go to sleep, but between the ‘horns playing a close game in the tournament and my wife reading in bed, I did not fall asleep until after midnight. I heard P come into the house, so I decided to get up and see how his night working at Outback was. As I walked in the darkness that was my kitchen, I was startled by some screams from outside. I rushed to the front door to see who was dying and only saw a bunch of middle school kids walking down my street at 1:00 in the morning.
P joined me in investigating the noise, (it had startled him as well,) and then rushed outside when he saw what they were carrying. They had several dozen fresh eggs. It was in the morning, but they were not making omelets. I need to mention now that P has awoken several weekend morning to find his car had been egged the night before. He dashed outside to confront the squealing schoolers and they bolted. They were picked up in a get away car and sped off, with P in pursuit. As I ran outside to offer assistance, I realized it was getting cooler outside, and I was still only wearing my Sponge Bob boxers. That was awkward.
Even J got up during all the excitement, but the twins slept through the entire episode,( bliss is wasted on the young.) Eventually I was able to collapse and catch some z’s. At least today was Saturday and I was able to sleep late.
Yes, it is fun to visit exotic locations, but for real excitement all I need to do is to stay home.

No comments: